Dutch Oven Cooking
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Camping Food Preparation and other Camping topics.
How should I use and clean my Dutch oven?
Camping food has come a long way over the years, but some things have stayed the same, like cooking in a Dutch oven. It was a cowboy favorite, and it's enjoying a comeback today. Check out the Web and you'll find hundreds of Dutch oven camping recipe sites with all kinds of ideas for some great camping food. Here are some things to remember when you cook with a Dutch oven.
- You can use the lid of your Dutch oven as a frying pan in a pinch. Just flip it over and cook on the inside of the lid.
- You can use wood chips with a Dutch oven, but most people prefer regular charcoal, because it heats more evenly.
- You can bake breads, biscuits, cobblers, and even pies in your Dutch oven, too.
- Soups and stews are great in a Dutch oven, and you can make them ahead, then simply pop into the Dutch oven and heat at the campsite. They often cook for several hours so you can enjoy other activities instead of cooking, too.
- Most important, DON'T wash your Dutch oven with soap. The soap sinks into the metal and makes your food taste soapy. Scrub with a pot scrubber and lots of hot water.
- Many people use a vinegar/water solution to clean their Dutch oven. Mix four parts water with 1 part vinegar, and then scrub with a scrubber and rinse with hot water.
Experiment with a Dutch oven at home in your backyard before you use it on a camping trip and you'll be creating authentic camping food in no time!